Thursday, May 14, 2009

Discovering Soba Noodles

One of my favorite discoveries since learning I had diabetes is soba noodles. I need to limit my intake of high carbohydrate food, so I started looking for alternatives to noodles. My find has turned out to be one of our favorite meals over the last month or so. (Mike likes the soba noodles too - which is great!)

Soba noodles are buckwheat noodles from Japan. In reading online, I found that buckwheat is actually something that is recommended to be added to a diabetic diet! It can actually help lower blood sugar!
Soba noodles are silly easy to cook - they only take about 4 minutes to boil. So far, the way I've fixed them is this:
(I don't have any quantities really, so I'm kind of guessing!)
In a wok or deep skillet, put about 1 tbsp of olive oil to heat. Add in about 1 cup each of cooked, diced chicken, chopped broccoli, and shelled edamame. (I use frozen veggies and pre-cooked frozen chicken.) Sauté until the vegetables and chicken are heated through. Meantime, boil your water for the soba noodles and cook the noodles.
For the sauce, I'm using a soy ginger sauce I found in the grocery store. It is one of the few mix sauces that was low in sugar. It's yummy too! I add in some chopped ginger and garlic, a few drizzles of sesame oil for taste, and let this cook together. Drain the noodles and add to the mix. Voila - you have a tasty, healthy dinner!
Have you ever cooked with soba noodles? Any other recipe ideas for me?

4 comments:

  1. Never ever used them! But I think I might have to try this. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really yummy! You could totally do this without meat and it would be just as good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soba noodles. You could do a sesame noodle kind of thing, making a sauce with peanut butter and adding green onions, chicken, vegetables, whatever.

    I haven't made a peanut sauce that has blown me away, but usually I include some rice vinegar, soy sauce, minced ginger . . . it takes some water, too, to get it loosened up enough. You might Google it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traditionally they are served cold (rinse them under cold water after cooking) and then you dip them in a soba sauce (similar to soy but slightly different) .. you garnish with thinly diced sushi nori.

    i myself like to cook them with bokchoy and whole button mushrooms and add a small amount of soy after cooking.

    ReplyDelete